Recipe 1: ಬಿಸಿ ಮೊಸ್ರನ್ನ (Hot Curd Rice)10 Mar 2023
There's a BIG difference between ಅನ್ನ ಮೊಸರು (rice and curds) and ಮೊಸ್ರನ್ನ (Curd Rice). The former is what you have when you do not have anything else to eat, or just want to cool off your stomach after a heavy meal. While the latter one is something fancy. Something that you have because you want to have it.
Then there's the version that I'm going to talk about here. My dad's recipe. This is ✨Gourmet✨.
Straight to the Recipe
Things you'll need:
- Very important: A pan that can get super hot fast and also cool off very fast. For example, Aluminium pans.
- Green Chillies
- ಉದ್ದಿನ್ ಬೇಳೆ - उड़द दाल - Black gram split
- Non-mushy rice
- Fresh ginger
- Coriander leaves
- Optional, but good: Green grapes or Pomegranate
Follow the steps in this VERY specific order.
- Heat Aluminium pan and add Ghee.
- Add split green chillies, toss around until the skin turns white-ish.
- Splutter mustard seeds + Urad Dal after a bit.
- HOT rice + salt, mix everything together, turn off flame, wait about 5 seconds.
- Add curds, chopped coriander leaves, fresh chopped ginger, and grapes.
Yup. You read that right. This is HOT Mosranna.
Hot Curd Rice?
The first and obvious question you might have is - won't the curds kind of break because of the heat?
That's where our Aluminium pan comes in. Because it cools off so fast (once you turn off the flame), curds get hot but not hot enough to break.
The combination of Urad dal + Fresh ginger + green chillies and the optional fruit just HITS right.
This really is the one dish that I think I can devour unlimited amounts of - and can actually do so. It's super easy to make as well!
Do give this version a try and let me know!